In 1907 the Eastern Carolina Silver Company opened for business in Hartsville with Major J.L. Coker, President; C. W. Coker; Treasurer; and a newcomer to Hartsville Walter F. Smith, Manager of Manufacturing.
The silver was quadruple-plated holloware made with a copper alloy base which was then electroplated with silver. Each piece of the silver was stamped on the bottom by a steel marker with the image of a small palmetto tree and the name of the company: E. Carolina Silver Co., Hartsville, S.C.
A catalogue was published in 1909 showing designs of the pieces using classic forms with southern motifs. Especially notable are the cotton blossom and boll, grape and grapevines, waterlilly, and wild rose designs.
The company dissolved in 1909. Over 5000 pieces were shipped to Chicago for auction and the assets moved to Southern Novelty Company (now Sonoco Products Company).